The perfect summer soup - cool, crisp, bright, refreshing.
- 2 roma tomatoes
- 2 heirloom tomatoes
- 2 beefsteak tomatoes
- 1 english Cucumber
- 2/3 green pepper
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 3/4 cup olive oil
- 0.5 tablespoons Pedro Ximinez Sherry vinegar (sweet)
- 1.5 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- Quarter 1 each of the types of tomatoes (half the amount) and add to food processor
- Peel 1/2 of the cucumber, roughly chop, and add to food processor
- Clean and de-seed/de-vein the green pepper; take 1/3 of the pepper and roughly chop, and add to food processor
- Add the minced garlic to the food processor
- Process the tomatoes, cucumber, and green pepper in the food processor - the tomatoes will turn a light, creamy, pink color.
- Add olive oil, vinegar, salt and pepper, and process.
- Taste for flavor - depending on the acidity of the tomatoes more vinegar can be added. Taste for salt and pepper.
- The remaining half of the tomatoes, cucumber (skin on), and green pepper should be finely diced and added to a large bowl.
- Pour the blended mixture on to the diced vegetables and stir them together.
- Taste for seasoning.
- Let the soup rest in the refrigerator for at least an hour.
- Top with quartered cherry or grape tomatoes, home-made croutons, shrimp.
- Fino or Manzanilla sherry
- A bright, crisp white wine such as txakoli or albarino
- A dry rose: a txakoli rose from Ameztoi would be great or one of my favorites Lopez de Heredia Rioja Rosado.