Recipe | Ramen Cacio e Pepe
Ramen Cacio e Pepe
In Lucky Peach and on his YouTube show "Mind Of A Chef", chef David Chang creates a ridiculously simple and untraditional Cacio e Pepe using instant ramen noodles. Healthy? Definitely not. Delicious? Of course.
- 2 packages instant ramen
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup Pecorino Romano
- 1 cup Parmigiano Reggiano
- Fresh ground pepper
1) In a pot add the water, butter, olive oil and a good amount of black pepper.
2) Bring to a boil, stir and reduce to a simmer when boiling.
3) Add cheese and stir, then quickly add the ramen.
4) Mix up the noodles and when they separate, constantly stir them until the noodles are soft and well dressed.
5) Serve in a bowl and add more fresh ground pepper on top.
Note: the noodles will start to coagulate very quickly after serving, so eat quickly and don't bother with leftovers.
For another untraditional twist, add some frozen peas to the water in the first step.