Sweet & Spicy Nuts
Based on the recipe printed in Gourmet magazine December 1994. The original includes pecans instead of peanuts and only uses cayenne. The recipe has some back heat, but not too much. It's definitely rounded out by the sweetness from the sugar.
- 2 large egg whites
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons Hungarian sweet paprika
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cayenne
- 1 teaspoon New Mexican hot chili powder
- 1 teaspoon chipotle chili powder
- 1 1/2 cups whole almonds
- 1 1/2 cups hazelnuts
- 1 1/2 cups peanuts
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted and cooled
1) Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
2) Beat egg whites and salt with an electric mixer until very foamy.
3) Gradually beat in sugar, Worcestershire sauce, and spices.
4) Stir in nuts and butter, combining well, and spread in a large shallow baking pan. Make sure there is a single layer of nuts.
5) Bake nuts in middle of oven, stirring every 10 minutes, until crisp and golden, about 30 to 40 minutes.
6) Spread nuts on a sheet of foil and cool.
7) Break up nut clusters.
Nuts can be stored for a week in a airtight container.
Obviously perfect for enjoying with cocktails, but they really enhance the flavors of a well-made Manhattan.