This recipe is a combination of the following recipes:
- Chef Lee Hefter's recipe published on Food & Wine
- Anthony Bourdain's recipe published on Celebrity Chefs
- Mark Bitterman's recipe published on Esquire
- Balthazar's recipe published on Serious Eats
- 1/2 lb beef tenderloin
- 1 egg yolk
- Juice from 1/2 lemon
- 1/2 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 anchovy fillets (stored in oil)
- ~ 10 capers, finely chopped
- ~ 4 cornichon, finely diced
- Salt & Pepper
1) Finely chop the beef tenderloin. Cut it into thin slices, then cut the slices into strips, and chop the strips. Chill the finely chopped tenderloin.
2) In a bowl, mash up the anchovy fillets with the capers.
3) Add the Worcestershire sauce, the mustard, the lemon juice, Sriracha (to taste), and the egg yolk. Mix and combine.
4) Add in the olive oil until well blended.
5) Mix in the lemon juice.
6) Mix in the cornichon.
7) Start to blend the a subset mixture into the chopped beef tenderloin and keep adding the mixture until the tartare is moist and coated, but not sloppy and runny.
8) Serve with toasted bread.