Bone Marrow & Parsley Salad
The Four Phases of Bone Marrow
The most perfect, meaty, juicy spread that a piece of toast will ever see. The marrow bones were purchased from Dickson's Farmstand Meats and cooked using chef Fergus Henderson's (St. John Restaurant in London) recipe from The Whole Beast: Nose To Tail Eating.
- 2 horizontally cut bones
- handful of parsley leaves (no stems)
- 1 tablespoon salted capers (capperi al sale)
- 0.5 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- sea salt and pepper
- rustic bread slices, toasted
1) Roast the bones in a 450 degree F oven for 15 to 20 minutes. Check on the bones after 15 minutes, if you cook the bones too long the marrow will just render down.
2) Make dressing with lemon juice, olive oil, and capers. Taste and season with salt and pepper as needed.
3) Dress the parsley leaves with the dressing.
4) As per Fergus, don't season the marrow bones when pulled out of the oven, season as you eat with a good sea salt.
5) Scoop the bone marrow onto the toast, season with salt, and add the parsley salad.