A Sunday Roast
Roast Pork Loin and Crackling
The key to getting crispy pork crackling is:
- make sure the butcher leaves the pork skin on the loin.
- the skin needs to be very dry before you start cooking, so leave the loin in the refrigerator uncovered.
- if the butcher hasn't scored the skin (which I think is the norm in the US), score it diagonally with a sharp knife.
- as with any piece of meat, allow it to come to room temperature for about an hour before cooking.
- heavily salt the skin.
- roast at a high heat to start with for 20 minutes and then reduce to a lower heat for the remaining cook time.
The result: thick, crispy, crunchy crackling. Basically the best part of the Sunday roast.