Katchkie Farm CSA - Week 6 - Coleslaw
This week's CSA delivery from Katchkie Farm included cabbage, basil, cilantro, lettuce, beets, tomatoes and since it has been so hot and humid in the city, a cool coleslaw was in order. I've become addicted to using Nori Tamago Furikake in salad dressings. It's a Japanese prepared seaweed and sesame seed mixture that is more traditionally used to flavor cooked rice, but it's fantastic in dressings and eggs, adding a unique underlying flavor profile.
The coleslaw with cabbage, cucumber ribbons and three fresh herbs turned out wonderfully and was the center of a salad with lettuce, tomato and roasted beets.
- 1/4 head cabbage, thinly sliced
- 1 small cucumber, peeled, de-seeded and thinly sliced
- ~ 10 fresh mint leaves, rough chopped
- Small handful fresh Cilantro, rough chopped
- ~ 6 fresh basil leaves , chiffonade
- 1 tablespoon whole grain mustard (Tin Mustard)
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon sherry vinegar
- 1tablespoon mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon sriracha
- 1 teaspoon Nori Tamago Furikake
1) In a large bowl, mix cabbage and herbs with your hands.
2) In a medium bowl mix mustards, mayonnaise, vinegar, sriracha, Nori Tamago Furikake and salt and pepper to taste.
3) Add a couple / few tablespoons of the mixture to the cabbage, blend together. See how creamy it is and taste for seasoning. Add more, if needed, until desired texture is reached.